Skip to main content

It wasn't the sound of thunder...

It is going to be 24 hours since it all started a few kilometers from here.


Half an hour back I went to the sea face just to have a look at the city skyline... whether it looked any different. It didn't. The lights at the governor's house, malabar hill and marine drive looked the same at least from this distance. It looked like any other evening. But it isn't the same.


Last night around 10:30 pm, I was flipping through the pages of Bombay Times to see if there is a late night show of any decent movie aroung south bombay. I was wondering whether i should go to INOX (nariman point) or Metro Adlabs. The shows at both these places were just 15 mins apart and i was still deciding when a friend called up and asked me to switch on the tv. As i was talking to him, i could hear loud noises which seemed like thunder (or blasts) and finally when i set the tv at NDTV, i saw the visuals from Leopold cafe. Speechless...


At that time it wasn't clear as to what actually happened. Initial reports said that it seemed like a gangwar as there were "serial firings". Then slowly the news kept coming from CST, Taj, Oberoi, Trident, Nariman House and others... By midnight it was clear that it is a terror attack (once again!!!), but this time it was different. This time it wasn't bombs planted all over the city. This time they themselves came prepared for an active attack at several places in the city, killing the rich and the affluent at luxury hotels, the common commuters at CST and the police personnel.


If it can happen in the premises of the Parliament, it can happen anywhere in the country. But the question is "Are we equipped to deal with such situations?". It took more than 3 hours for the state police to realize the enormity of the situation and then NSG and army were called to Mumbai. Ok... the army cannot keep marching all over the country 365 days, 24X7 and immediately come to action when such a situation arises. But, compared to all other cities Mumbai has been through hell more number of times. Still a lot is lacking on the part of administration.


Friends and family have been calling incessantly since last night. All of them telling me the same thing "Don't venture out." Ok, i wont jump into a cab or bus and go to Colaba to have dinner or catch a movie at Sterling today and may be for the next 3-4 days. But how long can we restrict ourselves. And why should we?


I am not scared of this situation. It is a very weird feeling... as if somebody has taken away our freedom... as if some other people are trying to control our lives... people who think they are stronger than us. They are not. But it has to be proved to them. And that can be done only when we stop fighting amongst ourselves. Will that day ever come?

Comments

Princess Fiona said…
we can only hope that that day comes soon... :(

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily
In the middle of Mediterranean Sea.
Austria was Hungary
Took a bit of Turkey
Fried it in Japan
Dipped it in Greece...."

I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-)

It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Healing and conquering myself, one tiny step at a time

"It is not the mountains we conquer but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary
Two years back, when I had set out on my first trek in the Himalayas, I did not know what I was getting into. It began as a quest, a search for the place that I was dreaming about for the last few years. Valley of Flowers in Uttarakhand did turn out to be straight out of my dream and I still cannot believe it. I remember sitting on that large asymmetrical rock for more than an hour, looking at the snow-clad mountains and scribbling in my diary as the cool wind blew in my face and the sun tried its best to warm my fingers. 
Less than a year later, I went back to the mountains and it was then that I realized that I was meant to go back, not once or twice or thrice, I just have to be there every once in a while. May be that recurring dream had a bigger purpose than calling me to the Valley of Flowers. May be someone up there knew that it was just a beginning. And now that it has started, it shall go on till my…

This 'Barfi' is sweetest of all

After a long time comes a movie that makes you laugh and cry at the same time. One cannot stay unmoved by the love and spirit of two people who suffer from hearing and speech impairment and autism. But it doesn't come in the way of identifying their individuality and their likes and dislikes. Neither does it prevent us from empathizing with their feelings.


The story begins with an ailing Barfi (Ranbir Kapoor) and a bunch of people sharing their memories of him and reminiscing about the past. We are introduced to the prankster who knew no boundaries when it came to creating trouble. The local policeman (Saurabh Shukla) was one of the main targets of all the pranks whenever he went chasing him. Barfi was too smart to be caught for any of his crimes. Things change when Barfi gets involved in a kidnapping and a bank robbery. The story of Jhilmil (Priyanka Chopra), who was kidnapped by Barfi, then unfolds. Barfi and Jhilmil go through a lot of ups and downs. The initial mistrust is ta…