Skip to main content

The stranger

Like every Mumbaikar, I had been praying for the monsoons to hit the city and provide some respite from the heat that was on a mission to burn us all. Now that the clouds had finally decided to fly in for their annual visit, they seemed to be as angry as the sun. This has been happening every year, leaving us with only two choices, to either drown in our own sweat or to let the ruthless downpour do its job.

As the metro approached Andheri station, people started lining up at the door. With the coach nearly empty, I shifted to the corner seat next to the door. I was just two stops and 4 min away from my destination but that didn't stop me from grabbing my favorite seat the minute it got empty. That's how we have become, always running after something better and not appreciating what we already have.

It was almost 9 PM. I climbed down the stairs of D N Nagar metro station, clutching my umbrella and feeling tempted to use it to push away the crowd. It didn't take long for me to notice that there weren't any autorickshaws, and at least 50 people stood along the pavement waiting for one. I joined the crowd and began begging every autorickshaw driver who drove by to take me home, which was hardly 2 km away.

After almost 10 minutes, an autorickshaw driver nodded in affirmation when he heard the name Infiniti mall and I climbed in feeling victorious. Just when the driver was about to kick-start the auto, I remembered that the young man standing a few steps away was also trying to get a rickshaw to the mall. I turned around and waved at him. "Do you want me to drop you to the mall? I am headed that way," I asked him when he came closer. He smiled and said, "Please, if you don't mind."

"Hi, I am Sahil," he introduced himself. And we started talking as the auto crawled through the heavy traffic. As far as talking to strangers is concerned, I have my days when I become too chatty or choose to act deaf. That day had not turned out great but somehow I didn't mind this guy asking me questions like how long had I been in the city, where did I study, and what did I do for a living. "Oh! You are a scholar, Shazia. It's people like you who make me nervous," he said. "Come on, please don't embarrass me. We still have some time before we reach our destination. So tell me what do you do," I insisted.

Sahil started to talk. He told me that he had recently started assisting his father in his business. He spoke further, "I used to be a pilot before I met with an accident that nearly killed me. I survived but a brain injury left me in a coma for 5 months." He pointed towards a dent in his skull that I had not noticed earlier. I sat there listening to him as he told me about the long recovery process, that he had gained 25 kg while he stayed bedridden, that he used to slur while speaking, and had major anger issues because of how his life had completely changed.

I wondered how many times had I allowed anger and frustration affect my mood on that day itself. This young man who sat next to me was telling his story with a smile on his face. He probably had more reasons to be angry and resent the situation that made him leave his dream career. And here I was, irritated because of the rains and the crowded train.

He shared some funny incidents from his life after the accident when he noticed that I had stopped speaking. We laughed as he joked about getting a tattoo saying "Mera baap chor hai" not because he hated his father but because he loved Deewar and Bachchan. We talked about movies, books, and people till the auto stopped in front of the mall. He didn't let me pay the rickshaw driver, saying, "Paagal hai kya...God knows how long I would have had to wait for a rickshaw if you had not offered to help." I am glad I did. I wished him good luck before we said our goodbyes and I saw him disappear in the crowd very similar to the one he was a part of when I had noticed him half an hour ago.

If it wasn't for that crowd, the incessant rains, and the dearth of autorickshaws, I wouldn't have traveled with a stranger and allowed him to unknowingly teach me a lesson on gratitude, patience, and pride. It has been two years since that night, and I still lose my temper when I am stuck at a crowded place or have to wait in a long queue. Sometimes, I remember Sahil and remind myself that a crowd is nothing but a bunch of stories waiting to intermingle with yours. Some stories may not end well but those offer lessons too. I will leave them for another day or may be I should skip talking about those.

picture source: https://thedailynoesis.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/naked-secrets/ 

Comments

Unknown said…
Superb as always Shaazzzzz....it's really very inspiring story.
Sudipto Basak said…
It touched my heart. Very well written. You should try giving it to “Chicken Soup for soul”. It’s amazing!
Shazia said…
Thank you for your kind words, Sudipto. It means a lot getting feedback from a fellow blogger. I should thank Pooja for sharing your blog with me. I have read a couple of posts (including the one with Siraj-ud-daulah). You are a great storyteller and should write more often. I would love to read more of your stories and anecdotes.
Shazia said…
@unknown: Thank you for reading and for your appreciation. I am trying to guess your identity. It would help if you could reveal it yourself or at least give me a hint. ;)
Saurabh said…
Bringring out the nuances of everyday life with such brilliance. Nicely done!
Susan Daniel said…
Nice one Shaz...enjoyed reading
Unknown said…
It is such a lovely story and pen down very beautifully. Loved reading this. Will read others too.

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily In the middle of Mediterranean Sea. Austria was Hungary Took a bit of Turkey Fried it in Japan Dipped it in Greece...." I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-) It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Drama on Lauh-pad-gamini

For those who don't know what is 'Lauh-pad-gamini' , it means 'train' (I learnt that from Chupke Chupke ). And let me re-emphasize the fact that I love train journeys. One of them is over and the other is round the corner. The reason for the upcoming journey deserves another post and I will write about it later. If life is a journey, I would like it to be a train journey. That's what the new look of my blog says too. The other day I was talking to a friend and this question came up "How do you think life has changed you?" There are so many things but the first thing which came in my head was: I have learnt to extract joy from 'little' things in life and even the otherwise 'major' things can't keep my spirits down for long. Yes, things do affect me but I have learnt to move on. But this post is not about lessons of life. It is about 'trains' and 'movies', which occupy a special position in my life. :) There are so ma

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

I went for this movie with zero-expectation just to watch SRK after a long interval of more than a year and I didn't get disappointed. Seriously, it is a very ordinary movie which takes up an age-old idea (of arranged marriage) and adds all kinds of 'spices' and SRK to it just to cater to a very specific kind of audience, which includes SRK fans and YRF loyals or time-pass movie goers. Surinder Sahni cannot be 'one' single man. There are many contradictions within this character. The man leads a dull, boring, monotonous life with his yellow suitcase, yellow tiffin, yellow car and a yellow bed sheet... (i might have missed other yellow objects around him). And he accepts the fact that he is indeed a boring person. Now, he decides to change his personality just to surprise his young, vibrant, newly-wedded wife. He turns himself into the "movie-hero" who makes his Taani ji smile. The surprising part is that he looks extremely comfortable in this new transfo