Skip to main content

Mumbai to Delhi

The day came and went but not like any other day. I was on my toes the whole day. A lot work needed to be done. I had to work on my manuscript, finish my experiment, pack my bags and catch a train. And in between there were phone calls from friends (many of them call me only once a year and i do the same). There was a lot to talk to but i didn't have time. A childhood friend got irritated when i told her that i will call her on tuesday (instead of saying i will call you in a couple of minutes). It took a while to pacify her. I will be dead if i don't call her up tomorrow.

I reached station 15 mins before the departure time (that was an achievement). I really love traveling by train. Most of the time when i am going out-of-station for a vacation or for professional reasons, the 'high point' of the trip is the train-journey. Will write something about it sometime soon.

But this particular time, i was unhappy because of one reason. Many of my friends could not wish me since the network coverage kept disappearing in between. I could speak to some of them though... but i may have missed some important calls :(

I had to make corrections in the manuscript and mail it to my labmate from Delhi. So, i started working on it just after sunset. Till then I was listening to songs and looking out of the window. The first lot of co-passengers were a loud-gujju-family who got down at Surat. At there place another gujju family came in. This one looked like an NRI-gujju family (an elderly couple, a young couple and their kids). They spoke with an accent (i am bad at identifying) and tried to look very sophisticated. Somehow i didn't get a positive feeling about them. And i was right....

Around 10pm another co-passenger, a foreigner, complained of fever and requested the young male of that family to find a doctor for him. I was half asleep at that time, but i could hear what was happening around. The man asked the train-attendant to find whether a doctor was traveling in the same train. The train-attendant left and did not return. Another enthusiastic man came and comfortingly told the guy-in-pain that a doctor will be here in 10-15mins. This guy also left.

More than 10 minutes lapsed and neither the doctor, nor the train-attendant were in view. The guy was too restless by then. He was not able to sit on the upper-berth, so i asked him to climb down and sit on my berth. The NRI-gujju-family was busy feeding there kid and checking the temperature of the milk for the younger one.

I asked the guy to explain his problem to me. He said that he had fever and a very bad backache and he was afraid that this pain was related to kidneys. Another problem was that he could not speak proper fluent english (he was a Russian) so i didn't get half of the things he said. I asked him to sit there till i find a doctor. I crossed my coach towards adjoining ones to look for the ticket-checker. Finally when i found him, i requested him to look at the chart and tell me if one of the passengers is a doctor. Luckily he found one and asked the train attendant to call that person. Since i didn't trust the attendant, i went myself and unfortunately the concerned person was not a medical practitioner but a professor. I got so irritated. The reservation form clearly asks "doctors by profession" to tick-mark that specific box and i was clueless why this man did that.

I headed back to my seat and on my way i was feeling bad that i will have to face that guy and tell him that i could not find the doctor. I really felt bad. The guy said thanks to me and quietly climbed up his berth and lied down. I told him that if he needs anything in the middle of night he can wake me up. And if he wants to get down the train, then also he can ask me for help.

I was angry at the insensitivity of the people around. People really don't care. I was specifically angry with this NRI family because they must have spent years in a foreign nation and they must be able to identify how it feels being helpless in a strange land. Still they did nothing...apart from opening their mouths and dropping meaningless words in air....

Comments

JC said…
do you still get surprised on seeing such people? and dont get angry for that professor, his ticket must have been booked by either his phd student or any jrf fellow in his lab and you know the pressure on these two species, so i think you should just forgive them all...thats what jesus did :)
Shazia said…
@ Jeet
I get irritated yaar when I see such people. Can't help it...

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily
In the middle of Mediterranean Sea.
Austria was Hungary
Took a bit of Turkey
Fried it in Japan
Dipped it in Greece...."

I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-)

It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Healing and conquering myself, one tiny step at a time

"It is not the mountains we conquer but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary
Two years back, when I had set out on my first trek in the Himalayas, I did not know what I was getting into. It began as a quest, a search for the place that I was dreaming about for the last few years. Valley of Flowers in Uttarakhand did turn out to be straight out of my dream and I still cannot believe it. I remember sitting on that large asymmetrical rock for more than an hour, looking at the snow-clad mountains and scribbling in my diary as the cool wind blew in my face and the sun tried its best to warm my fingers. 
Less than a year later, I went back to the mountains and it was then that I realized that I was meant to go back, not once or twice or thrice, I just have to be there every once in a while. May be that recurring dream had a bigger purpose than calling me to the Valley of Flowers. May be someone up there knew that it was just a beginning. And now that it has started, it shall go on till my…

Something has changed

I was talking to this friend after a long time and the first two questions he asked me were, 'What movie did you watch last weekend?' and 'Where are you traveling to next?'. I refused to answer his questions till he first asked me how I was. We laughed and he said that he keeps seeing my updates on movies and travel and wonders when he will find time to do that.

I have always loved to travel. I remember once my parents asked my brother and me to make a wishlist of things that we wanted. I had added 'Trip to Delhi' to that list. Then came a time when all the focus was on board exams and competitive exams, and the joy of traveling was forgotten because it mostly meant going to a new city to give some exam. 
It all restarted once I came to Mumbai, 13 years back. Before I landed in this city I had turned into a shy, timid girl whose friends used to help her cross the road and get a rickshaw for her so that she doesn't have to talk to the rickshaw-wala. I can&#…