Skip to main content

The End of Innocence by Moni Mohsin


The End of Innocence is not an extraordinary story but it is worth a read. One of the negative points of this book is its similarity to Bapsi Sidhwa's Ice Candy Man. I have not read Sidhwa's book, however I have seen 1947-Earth which is based on it.



The theme of both the books is similar. A child sharing space with the adults and trying to understand the world of grown-ups. In the End of Innocence Laila is the 9 year old girl who reads Enid Blyton and wants to 'solve a mystery' like the Five Find-outers. She has dreams of a child but wants to grow-up fast so that she can talk like one of the adults around her. She finds a friend in Rani, who is 6 years older than her. Rani, a teenager, has a different world. She dreams of falling in love and getting married. She shares her feelings with Laila who is too young to understand it wholly but still she acts like a good listener and poses to be excited in front of Rani. But the truth is that she does not understand the gravity of the situation and one day she innocently shares Rani's secret with the wrong person and Rani is lost forever. What Laila gets in return is a guilt for life.




Moni Mohsin describes Laila and her world beautifully. Laila is the most comprehensively sketched character of this novel. That makes me wonder whether the book is partially autobiographical. Autobiography or not, the story and the characters are believable. One of the sub-plots of the book which I really liked was the relationship between the husband and wife, Tariq and Fareeda, Laila's parents. They were the perfect couple, truly made for each other. Their love story runs throughout the book, though in the background.
Overall I liked the book but there was nothing which specifically moved me. Somehow it failed to touch my heart.


I am wondering which book should I pick up next. I think I will read some non-fiction now just to change the taste. :)

Comments

sujaan said…
yes shaz, non fiction zindabaad!
Shazia said…
Yes Sujaan, of late i have stopped enjoying fiction. Non-fiction is where my interest mainly lies. And my favourites are Biographies and Popular science. I will start reading either Richard Feynman's "Surely you are joking.." or another book which is called "Seed to Seed" which is about plants and their life.
JC said…
just go for Irodov's Problems in General Physics...you will stop reading books after that....:)
Shazia said…
@ Jeet
I have seen that book from a distance. I love myself so I didn't indulge in self-torture by flipping the pages of Irodov's famous book. :)

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily In the middle of Mediterranean Sea. Austria was Hungary Took a bit of Turkey Fried it in Japan Dipped it in Greece...." I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-) It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

I went for this movie with zero-expectation just to watch SRK after a long interval of more than a year and I didn't get disappointed. Seriously, it is a very ordinary movie which takes up an age-old idea (of arranged marriage) and adds all kinds of 'spices' and SRK to it just to cater to a very specific kind of audience, which includes SRK fans and YRF loyals or time-pass movie goers. Surinder Sahni cannot be 'one' single man. There are many contradictions within this character. The man leads a dull, boring, monotonous life with his yellow suitcase, yellow tiffin, yellow car and a yellow bed sheet... (i might have missed other yellow objects around him). And he accepts the fact that he is indeed a boring person. Now, he decides to change his personality just to surprise his young, vibrant, newly-wedded wife. He turns himself into the "movie-hero" who makes his Taani ji smile. The surprising part is that he looks extremely comfortable in this new transfo

Drama on Lauh-pad-gamini

For those who don't know what is 'Lauh-pad-gamini' , it means 'train' (I learnt that from Chupke Chupke ). And let me re-emphasize the fact that I love train journeys. One of them is over and the other is round the corner. The reason for the upcoming journey deserves another post and I will write about it later. If life is a journey, I would like it to be a train journey. That's what the new look of my blog says too. The other day I was talking to a friend and this question came up "How do you think life has changed you?" There are so many things but the first thing which came in my head was: I have learnt to extract joy from 'little' things in life and even the otherwise 'major' things can't keep my spirits down for long. Yes, things do affect me but I have learnt to move on. But this post is not about lessons of life. It is about 'trains' and 'movies', which occupy a special position in my life. :) There are so ma