Skip to main content

I and the others



In one of the earlier posts I had mentioned a review article published in Science recently (Emily Pronin et al). The paper discusses ongoing research in Human Psychology about how differently we think about ourselves compared to how we think about others. The approach we take while judging others is completely different from the approach we take to understand ourselves.



When it is about others, we lay more stress on the inputs we get from our senses (visual and hearing) and we are completely unaware of the other person's inner thoughts. And when it comes to judging ourselves we have access to our innermost thoughts and at the same time we forget about our actual actions (as seen by others). In the former it is an extrospective approach whereas in the latter it is introsepctive. In both the situations we do not have access to the complete information which might explain an action or decision or a situation.



It is this incomplete information which becomes the basis of our inter-personal relationships. We interact with people, work in a team, love one person, hate another, not knowing everything about them and ourselves.



In this context what would being wise and having good interpersonal skills mean?



It would mean taking an extra effort and extracting the information which is otherwise not available while judging both ourselves and others. We need to be less-biased, less-selfish and self-centered while introspecting about our own actions. And we need to empathize with others and try to understand their intensions before judging them. But if either of these is overdone it might again lead to an imbalance.


I tend to over-analyse situations and blame myself sometimes. Sometimes I am self-absorbed and not able to see the other person's point of view. It happens with all of us.


No matter what, it is good to peep into oursleves and ask a few questions :-

a) Am I right in doing so?
b) Am I actually right or do I just believe that I am right?
c) Am I lying to myself?

Answer these questions honestly and then only move ahead. We can lie to anyone in the world but not to ourselves.


I own that I have made some mistakes in life and I do regret certain things. But even if I am not telling anybody else, I am being honest by owning my mistakes. I am not actively troubling anybody. Often I have been the one who has been troubled. What was my mistake? That I trust easily? That I open my heart to people easily? That I forgive the shortcomings and forget the nonsense inflicted on me, not forseeing that same things will act against me?


Every mistake of mine that I know of has taught me a lesson.I remember all of them and I have promised myself that I wont repeat them. I will try my best to understand the other person, as well as I can understand myself. At the same time I won't be able to take any nonsense from anybody.


It's enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily In the middle of Mediterranean Sea. Austria was Hungary Took a bit of Turkey Fried it in Japan Dipped it in Greece...." I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-) It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Drama on Lauh-pad-gamini

For those who don't know what is 'Lauh-pad-gamini' , it means 'train' (I learnt that from Chupke Chupke ). And let me re-emphasize the fact that I love train journeys. One of them is over and the other is round the corner. The reason for the upcoming journey deserves another post and I will write about it later. If life is a journey, I would like it to be a train journey. That's what the new look of my blog says too. The other day I was talking to a friend and this question came up "How do you think life has changed you?" There are so many things but the first thing which came in my head was: I have learnt to extract joy from 'little' things in life and even the otherwise 'major' things can't keep my spirits down for long. Yes, things do affect me but I have learnt to move on. But this post is not about lessons of life. It is about 'trains' and 'movies', which occupy a special position in my life. :) There are so ma

I like 'Blue'

After working on my thesis (and doing some time-pass) whole night, I happened to peep out of the window and look at the striking shade of blue in the sky. I immediately looked around for my camera. It took some 90 seconds before I could click this photo and in that span of time the coloour of the sky changed a bit. Nevertheless, it is still very near to (but not exactly) the 'blue' which I like. I am neither very fond of a particular colour (except mauve and lilac) or hate a particular colour. I remember that as a child I didn't like 'yellow' at all. As I grew up, in my mind I started associating colours with different things. E.g. I like 'yellow' when it is a flower which I am looking at (and not Tata Nano or any other car). I would never wear a bright-yellow dress, but that doesn't mean I don't like the colour. Similarly, I love certain shades of 'blue' which look best in a sky or in a water body. Looking at any of my favourite colours (or