Skip to main content

Jungle hai aadhi raat hai...lagne laga hai darr

Remember this?

I am back in the land where Ashoka embraced Buddhism after killing thousands. I am not sure whether I will embrace Buddhism but i might end up killing a thousands. Not people, but bugs.

The first time I took bath, marked the end of life of a cockroach and a couple of ants and spiders. This year I am more prepared. :)

The room in which I am staying is adjacent to the one stayed in last year. So, I get to use the same bathroom. It made me feel at home. I even found the remains of the agarbattis I had lit last year. Who else would light agarbattis in bathroom?

The moment I got down the train on sunday morning, I was shocked by the grand welcome provided by two of my friends here. Within 30 seconds of touching the grounds, a coconut was cracked at my feet and then there were garlands... (I swear that happened!). And it left me speechless and embarrassed. Very sweet of them.

The city looks the same. Just that this time I am not feeling lost here. I know where to go to buy stuff and where to roam around. Actually I am feeling good here. Except that I am missing my friends back in Mumbai...some of them won't be around when I get back . I keep thinking of you :(

The institute where I am working has restricted access to all social networking sites and any other sites which carry the term 'Blog'. After suffering for 5 days I managed to get a net connection of my own. And I am back. Will keep posting my adventures from this corner of India.

It's raining like hell here. And I am not liking it.

Comments

Koffee beanzz said…
I liked the welcome part! Wow! :)
Wali Khan said…
Glad u r back, i hope the connection is working fine!!!
sujaan said…
aww shazia ji, such a cute post... made me smile... i'll also get coconuts for you when you come to calcutta...
Shazia said…
@ Binny: I really got the shock of my life. But I felt good too :)

@ Wali: The connection is fine. I can live with it.

@ Sujaan: Thank you Suzie. But please don't do that. A welcome hug will be greater than that. :)
Bhargava Ram said…
Whom are you missing? ;)

And what about caramel popcorn?
Shazia said…
@ Bhargava: All those who are being missed, know. :)
And I will kill you for reminding me of caramel popcorn. :(
AK said…
aaj ham yeh wada karthey hein ki agli bar jab ham milenge, ham aapko ake nariyal bhent karenge
AK said…
How dare an institute restricts the creative bent of my friend!!!

Jab thak suraj chand rahega
Tab tak yeh blogger likhta rahega
Shazia said…
@ Arun

You are so sweet. :)
And one nariyal won't do. Haven't seen you in almost 16 years and God knows when we will meet. So, you better be more prepared.
And thanks for promoting this blogger and the blog. :)

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily
In the middle of Mediterranean Sea.
Austria was Hungary
Took a bit of Turkey
Fried it in Japan
Dipped it in Greece...."

I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-)

It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Healing and conquering myself, one tiny step at a time

"It is not the mountains we conquer but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary
Two years back, when I had set out on my first trek in the Himalayas, I did not know what I was getting into. It began as a quest, a search for the place that I was dreaming about for the last few years. Valley of Flowers in Uttarakhand did turn out to be straight out of my dream and I still cannot believe it. I remember sitting on that large asymmetrical rock for more than an hour, looking at the snow-clad mountains and scribbling in my diary as the cool wind blew in my face and the sun tried its best to warm my fingers. 
Less than a year later, I went back to the mountains and it was then that I realized that I was meant to go back, not once or twice or thrice, I just have to be there every once in a while. May be that recurring dream had a bigger purpose than calling me to the Valley of Flowers. May be someone up there knew that it was just a beginning. And now that it has started, it shall go on till my…

Something has changed

I was talking to this friend after a long time and the first two questions he asked me were, 'What movie did you watch last weekend?' and 'Where are you traveling to next?'. I refused to answer his questions till he first asked me how I was. We laughed and he said that he keeps seeing my updates on movies and travel and wonders when he will find time to do that.

I have always loved to travel. I remember once my parents asked my brother and me to make a wishlist of things that we wanted. I had added 'Trip to Delhi' to that list. Then came a time when all the focus was on board exams and competitive exams, and the joy of traveling was forgotten because it mostly meant going to a new city to give some exam. 
It all restarted once I came to Mumbai, 13 years back. Before I landed in this city I had turned into a shy, timid girl whose friends used to help her cross the road and get a rickshaw for her so that she doesn't have to talk to the rickshaw-wala. I can&#…