Skip to main content

Bachpan...


As I am getting older, the memories of childhood are becoming more and more dear to me. There are some bitter memories (which I am not interested in discussing) and there are many sweet memories.


I have been reading "Kaghazi hai pairahan", an autobiography of Ismat Chughtai these days. In the current chapter she is visiting her phoophi (father's sister). The description of the home and the ambiance reminded me of my grand-father's home at Bhagalpur, Bihar. We used to visit there every year during our summer vacation. Two of my phoophis and chhote abbu (father's brother) used to stay there too. So, in all we were 7 kids. If the timing was good then 2 other cousins from Patna would join us.


There were fights as well as fun. I remember once we organized a cultural evening with a short skit and some song and dance too. I don't remember my contribution though.


Bhagalpur was a little (actually more than a little) short on electricity. And that compelled all of us to stay in the courtyard from early evening till the next morning. The courtyard, which then seemed like a boundless expanse of land, had a coconut tree in the center. On one side of it was the kitchen and other 3 sides were 3 different portions of the house. Chaarpai used to be laid in the courtyard and all of us brothers and sisters used to huddle together and either tell each other stories of ghosts or the bermuda triangle (and other interesting stuff) or listen to stories from our kahaani-waali daddu (grandfather's sister).


The mischief-maker

One of the last photographs of my brother having an unkempt look

Certain things which i remember clearly are the sound made by the rustling of the leaves of the coconut tree, the smell of the coal or cow-dung cakes burning in the angeethi, the chaos created by the pet goats, chicken and cats (the house was a mini-zoo), the clear sky with innumerable stars (very visible in the absence of electricity), the smell of kerosene lamp, the smell of itr and the hustle-bustle of burkha-clad women on eid, jumping from one terrace to another and an occasional movie show on the VCR (sometimes it took more than 2 days to see one complete movie).

4 out of 9

Na poori tarah yaad hain woh lamhen,
Aur na hum unhe bhool paaye hain.
Hawa ke sang jo khushboo aaj aayi hai,
Humein us waqt mein ya us waqt ko humaare paas le aayi hai.

Comments

Princess Fiona said…
bahut nostalgic kar diya tumne, shazia...

those (good old) days..

*sigh*
Shazia said…
Monika,

Kya karen yaad aa gayi us time ki, to likh daala. Bachpan ki buri se buri yaad bhi aaj pyaari lagti hai....
Anonymous said…
"wo kaghaz ki kashti, wo baarish ka paani"... I am sure you tried that too during monsoons.
Unknown said…
Missing childhood... i guess everyone does at this point of time when u don't get time to do the most important things u had thought to do during the day.. koi naihn bete, sabke saath hota hai.. enjoyed reading the choti shaz stuff and seeeing her too.. miss u.. and those days too..
Unknown said…
Title "The mischief-maker" suits you best darling... and LOL!!! at "unkempt look"

Well i miss those days tooh... I was a real silly guy back then...
Shazia said…
@ khule panne
Amit humne to bathroom mein bucket mein bhi khoob nav chalayi hai :)

@ Shilpy
You are the most regular reader of my blog. Thanks yaar...

@ CAT (wali)
Yaar you were never silly. You were very cute. I think I grew up before the right age. And i was mean... Sorry for everything!

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily In the middle of Mediterranean Sea. Austria was Hungary Took a bit of Turkey Fried it in Japan Dipped it in Greece...." I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-) It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Drama on Lauh-pad-gamini

For those who don't know what is 'Lauh-pad-gamini' , it means 'train' (I learnt that from Chupke Chupke ). And let me re-emphasize the fact that I love train journeys. One of them is over and the other is round the corner. The reason for the upcoming journey deserves another post and I will write about it later. If life is a journey, I would like it to be a train journey. That's what the new look of my blog says too. The other day I was talking to a friend and this question came up "How do you think life has changed you?" There are so many things but the first thing which came in my head was: I have learnt to extract joy from 'little' things in life and even the otherwise 'major' things can't keep my spirits down for long. Yes, things do affect me but I have learnt to move on. But this post is not about lessons of life. It is about 'trains' and 'movies', which occupy a special position in my life. :) There are so ma

I like 'Blue'

After working on my thesis (and doing some time-pass) whole night, I happened to peep out of the window and look at the striking shade of blue in the sky. I immediately looked around for my camera. It took some 90 seconds before I could click this photo and in that span of time the coloour of the sky changed a bit. Nevertheless, it is still very near to (but not exactly) the 'blue' which I like. I am neither very fond of a particular colour (except mauve and lilac) or hate a particular colour. I remember that as a child I didn't like 'yellow' at all. As I grew up, in my mind I started associating colours with different things. E.g. I like 'yellow' when it is a flower which I am looking at (and not Tata Nano or any other car). I would never wear a bright-yellow dress, but that doesn't mean I don't like the colour. Similarly, I love certain shades of 'blue' which look best in a sky or in a water body. Looking at any of my favourite colours (or