Skip to main content

I want to be free...

I just finished reading "By the river piedra i sat down and wept" by Paulo Coelho. I wont comment on the story of this book. What i like most about Paulo Coelho's books is the man-nature interface. A man or a woman is often seen wandering seeking for something important. And on the way they have various experiences. The description of nature's beauty in some of his books make my mind wander to those mountain ranges, to small villages, to brooks, to the meandering stony paths. I would love to walk alone in the midst of nature with birds chirping around me and dry leaves crumbling under my feet... I want to be free of all commitments and just wander.




Last year i went on a trek to Harishchandragarh with 3 of my friends. It was the best experience i ever had. That was the only time i was close to nature and away from civilization. The memories are still afresh. These photographs were taken by Satyaki (my bear). In the first photograph you can see the sun shining on me when i m trying to climb down without tumbling. The second one shows one of the many twisted paths where i slipped and luckily did not hurt myself. The third one is the ultimate beauty, mountains and mountains everywhere.




I was told by my friends that this was an easy trek, ok for beginners. I was the last addition to the small group. I went shoe-shopping just one day before the trek. At that time i did not know how much will i have to walk or climb. Actually i didnt know anything. I just relied on them (2 of them were first timers like me and the 3rd one was frequent trekker, and he is the one who deserves a kick from us).


We took a local to Kalyan. Then travelled by bus to a place called 'Khubi phata' (there is a joke about it which i cannot share here :-) ). From the place we got down from the bus we walked 4 kms to the small village called Khireshwar on the foothill of the mountain. And when the sun was overhead (at around 2 pm) we started climbing. It was so hot that after every 20 steps i felt like having a sip of water. At that time we had no idea how cold it was going to be at night. We went on climbing for more than 2 hrs and when it finally started getting dark a group of people coming from the opposite direction asked us to hurry and reach the top before nightfall. According to them we had to walk for more than an hour before reaching the caves where we were planning to stay at night. After a lot of grumbling and cursing we finally reached the plateau and came to know that the caves were full and we would have to make arrangement to sleep at night (or to stay alive that night).


As it was already dark we could not gather enough wood or twigs. Our expert trekker had to sacrifce 10 ml of rum he had got to drink. Even after this solemn sacrifice the fire could be kept alive for hardly an hour. And then we were left at nature's mercy. We managed to get place to sleep in a completely-porous hut. The cold wind blew the life out of us. 4 of us huddled together somehow managed to see the morning sun.


On the way back i didnt walk the way down. I actually tumbled and rolled down the rocks which provided a comic relief to my fellow trekkers.


What a sound sleep i had the night we returned. Each and every muscle and bone in the body was hurting. Some of the muscles, i m sure, were used for the very first time.


> 3500 meters up and back! It was great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily In the middle of Mediterranean Sea. Austria was Hungary Took a bit of Turkey Fried it in Japan Dipped it in Greece...." I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-) It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

I went for this movie with zero-expectation just to watch SRK after a long interval of more than a year and I didn't get disappointed. Seriously, it is a very ordinary movie which takes up an age-old idea (of arranged marriage) and adds all kinds of 'spices' and SRK to it just to cater to a very specific kind of audience, which includes SRK fans and YRF loyals or time-pass movie goers. Surinder Sahni cannot be 'one' single man. There are many contradictions within this character. The man leads a dull, boring, monotonous life with his yellow suitcase, yellow tiffin, yellow car and a yellow bed sheet... (i might have missed other yellow objects around him). And he accepts the fact that he is indeed a boring person. Now, he decides to change his personality just to surprise his young, vibrant, newly-wedded wife. He turns himself into the "movie-hero" who makes his Taani ji smile. The surprising part is that he looks extremely comfortable in this new transfo

Drama on Lauh-pad-gamini

For those who don't know what is 'Lauh-pad-gamini' , it means 'train' (I learnt that from Chupke Chupke ). And let me re-emphasize the fact that I love train journeys. One of them is over and the other is round the corner. The reason for the upcoming journey deserves another post and I will write about it later. If life is a journey, I would like it to be a train journey. That's what the new look of my blog says too. The other day I was talking to a friend and this question came up "How do you think life has changed you?" There are so many things but the first thing which came in my head was: I have learnt to extract joy from 'little' things in life and even the otherwise 'major' things can't keep my spirits down for long. Yes, things do affect me but I have learnt to move on. But this post is not about lessons of life. It is about 'trains' and 'movies', which occupy a special position in my life. :) There are so ma