Skip to main content

P0 (read as 'P zero'): There's more to it...

I was crossing the corridor of Dept of Astronomy and Astrophysics, when i heard "P zero is not the....". I stood there for a fraction of second thinking whether what i heard was right. So, somebody else at TIFR has something to do with P zero. And more than that, me and my labmates have been unaware of this fact. The main focus of our lab lies in the studies related to the P0 protein of the malarial parasite. Is there a secret group at TIFR trying to move ahead of us? On second thought, it didnt seem plausible enough. 'Astrophysicists and P0 protein of Plasmodium', a rather odd combination. Thank God! We are safe.

I came back to lab and googled for P0 and found really funny (to us) and diverse definitions that i would like to share.

1) Pzero is a low-carbon power management company based in UK. Pzero stands for 'power with zero emission'. The company delivers low-carbon power solutions to industries and communities. (Good Work!)

2) P zero is a Italian tyre company with all sorts of tyres for all kinds of vehicles. I liked the logo of the company. 'P' stands for 'Pirelli' (dont know what it means).

3) Microsoft developors have something called a 'P0' bug. It stands for 'Priority zero', which means more important than 'Priority One'. (I liked the definition). This bug needs to be removed urgently in order to protect and market the product which can be a software program i guess. I got these details from somebody called Sriram Krishnan's blog. The title of the blog was 'P0', exactly like we write it.

I went though 6 google result pages and the Pirelli tyres (they spell it as tires) dominated the search. Funny, our scientific interest shares its name with a vehicle tyre company.
Picture Courtesy: Pirelli Tires Homepage

Comments

kate said…
:D
fun post!
Amit said…
really funny. a google search reveals that Pirelli was the founder of that Italian company.

the picture you've shown is actually P-dot, not P-zero! btw, good to know that there are some tyres which are are rich in protein!
sagitalsection said…
@kate
Wonder what SS will say about it. :)

@amit
I guessed Pirelli was a name. Sounds like Toricelli :)
Tyres rich in protein? Hehehe....
Princess Fiona said…
hmm. interesting. must inform SS.
AK said…
The letter P gets used a lot in science and a subscript of 'zero' denotes the base state. So it could mean n number of things.
This is what I found .....

"Based on a new concept of "Po Star"-one kind of ancient strange stars, some peculiar Po Stars are possibly considered as remote supernovae or even hypernovae. They have chance to be associated with their observed remnants, such as supernova remnants and their compact sources (young neutron stars, black holes, soft gamma repeaters and so on). It will offer the important messages of ages to these high energy astrophysical sources."
Source: Google the Great
Koffee beanzz said…
Nope! I dont think SS should be informed!! She'll start a collaboration with some physics Bong prof to work on Po!! Remember the aim of the lab is to look at Po from all possible angles..physics, biology or chemistry doesnt matter!!
sagitalsection said…
Beanz, You are absolutely right. We dont want any more expts for us or other 'trainee' students planning to do these expts in our lab. :)
sagitalsection said…
@ Arun

Probably they were talking about P0 stars. Hey, you are working in the area of solid state physics. right?

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily
In the middle of Mediterranean Sea.
Austria was Hungary
Took a bit of Turkey
Fried it in Japan
Dipped it in Greece...."

I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-)

It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Healing and conquering myself, one tiny step at a time

"It is not the mountains we conquer but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary
Two years back, when I had set out on my first trek in the Himalayas, I did not know what I was getting into. It began as a quest, a search for the place that I was dreaming about for the last few years. Valley of Flowers in Uttarakhand did turn out to be straight out of my dream and I still cannot believe it. I remember sitting on that large asymmetrical rock for more than an hour, looking at the snow-clad mountains and scribbling in my diary as the cool wind blew in my face and the sun tried its best to warm my fingers. 
Less than a year later, I went back to the mountains and it was then that I realized that I was meant to go back, not once or twice or thrice, I just have to be there every once in a while. May be that recurring dream had a bigger purpose than calling me to the Valley of Flowers. May be someone up there knew that it was just a beginning. And now that it has started, it shall go on till my…

Something has changed

I was talking to this friend after a long time and the first two questions he asked me were, 'What movie did you watch last weekend?' and 'Where are you traveling to next?'. I refused to answer his questions till he first asked me how I was. We laughed and he said that he keeps seeing my updates on movies and travel and wonders when he will find time to do that.

I have always loved to travel. I remember once my parents asked my brother and me to make a wishlist of things that we wanted. I had added 'Trip to Delhi' to that list. Then came a time when all the focus was on board exams and competitive exams, and the joy of traveling was forgotten because it mostly meant going to a new city to give some exam. 
It all restarted once I came to Mumbai, 13 years back. Before I landed in this city I had turned into a shy, timid girl whose friends used to help her cross the road and get a rickshaw for her so that she doesn't have to talk to the rickshaw-wala. I can&#…