Skip to main content

Being single among non-single girl friends


We all have had our own bunch of girl friends at some point of our lives. They are the ones who we shared our notes and secrets with. In school, the frequently discussed topics used to be anything from 'who could fail in which subject' to 'who is getting what on their birthdays' to 'who has a teeny-weeny crush on which boy in the class'. In college, the points of discussion remained more or less the same except that some of our friends had a boy friend or a fiancĂ©. That usually marked the beginning of an end of the precious girl gang as slowly each of us drifted apart. Some of us got married and had kids, while some others moved to a different city or country in search of a dream career. In my case, the latter holds true. On the other hand, most of my girl  friends got married over a span of ~10 years. Interestingly, I am almost the only one from my old girl gang who is still in the process of enjoying singledom and in return gets subjected to queries, free advises, and sometimes, even sympathy from my old pals. 

One night when I had nothing else to do, I sat down and made some notes. Then I drew a timeline with points like 'just engaged', 'just got married', 'just had a baby' and so on. I then listed some of the interesting queries and advises received from my girl friends against the particular data point that marked the friend's position on the above timeline. The findings are depicted below:


Data point
Query/comment/advice
Just got engaged
"I wish you also find someone soon. I am sure you will…just keep looking."

Just got married
"Getting married was the best decision I made. I think you should also think about it…I think you are being too picky and choosy."

Just had a baby
"You have no idea what you are missing in your life. This is the best thing to happen to a woman…being a mother. And you know that you cannot have babies when you are 40. Be open to the idea of marriage. Get married…have a family. If you don’t, your life will be incomplete, forever."

Married for 5-10 years
"I am so happy for you and sometimes I envy you. You are financially independent, leading life on your own terms.  You have time for your hobbies, you pick up the newest bestseller and finish reading it in a day, and you choose your travel destination and go globetrotting.  I wish I could take out time for myself and do all this."

Married for >10 years
(They just stopped commenting/inquiring about marriage and kids. Occasionally they acknowledge that getting married or staying single doesn't define how happy or content you could be in your life.) 


This entire analysis showed that the perception of married women towards their single friends change with their location at the above timeline. I would like to send a message to all my well-wishing friends to try to take a leap and arrive at the last mentioned data point on the timeline and understand that a state of happiness or contentment is unrelated to the marital status of a person. 
[This post would be incomplete without  mentioning girl friends who are following a different timeline (like me). They don’t ask these questions (or give advises) because they also don’t enjoy responding to them. They are there to listen to the details of my seemingly mundane life, to giggle with me, and gossip about rest of the world.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily In the middle of Mediterranean Sea. Austria was Hungary Took a bit of Turkey Fried it in Japan Dipped it in Greece...." I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-) It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Drama on Lauh-pad-gamini

For those who don't know what is 'Lauh-pad-gamini' , it means 'train' (I learnt that from Chupke Chupke ). And let me re-emphasize the fact that I love train journeys. One of them is over and the other is round the corner. The reason for the upcoming journey deserves another post and I will write about it later. If life is a journey, I would like it to be a train journey. That's what the new look of my blog says too. The other day I was talking to a friend and this question came up "How do you think life has changed you?" There are so many things but the first thing which came in my head was: I have learnt to extract joy from 'little' things in life and even the otherwise 'major' things can't keep my spirits down for long. Yes, things do affect me but I have learnt to move on. But this post is not about lessons of life. It is about 'trains' and 'movies', which occupy a special position in my life. :) There are so ma

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

I went for this movie with zero-expectation just to watch SRK after a long interval of more than a year and I didn't get disappointed. Seriously, it is a very ordinary movie which takes up an age-old idea (of arranged marriage) and adds all kinds of 'spices' and SRK to it just to cater to a very specific kind of audience, which includes SRK fans and YRF loyals or time-pass movie goers. Surinder Sahni cannot be 'one' single man. There are many contradictions within this character. The man leads a dull, boring, monotonous life with his yellow suitcase, yellow tiffin, yellow car and a yellow bed sheet... (i might have missed other yellow objects around him). And he accepts the fact that he is indeed a boring person. Now, he decides to change his personality just to surprise his young, vibrant, newly-wedded wife. He turns himself into the "movie-hero" who makes his Taani ji smile. The surprising part is that he looks extremely comfortable in this new transfo