Skip to main content

Angst

The girl, who had expressed an urge to live despite what she had gone through, is dead. She must have been a strong-willed woman, wanting to live, face the world, restart her life, become a doctor, serve people, have a family, love and be loved. Not many of us would have that kind of strength. Being in that situation, wanting to die would not be considered insane. But she wanted to live...that is what pains me the most. It is only for this reason that out of immense hatred, I am compelled to support the appeal for capital punishment. Those men do not deserve to live, walk on the streets, lead a normal life.

However, will a death sentence put an end to the ongoing epidemic of crime against women? I don't think so. Does that mean we shouldn't do anything for what has already happened? No, we should. But what? I don't have a clear answer to that but it would be something along the line of the famous welsh proverb, "If every man would sweep his own doorstep, the city would soon be clean".

Many of my friends who are married and are on the verge of starting a family have expressed their fear of having a daughter in today's times. Isn't that a defeatist attitude? We cannot protect our women, so let's stop giving birth to them. I would like to ask all those people, what is more challenging? Raising a girl and protecting her modesty or raising a boy who grows up to be gender-sensitized. If you think having a son lessens your headache or responsibility, do you assure us that he wouldn't turn out to be one of those men? Just because voices have been raised for this extreme and heinous crime, it doesn't mean that other lesser degrees of sexual harassment are acceptable or not worth talking about. There are many obedient sons of their mothers who roam on the streets, travel in trains, shop in malls, and don't miss a chance of leering at or groping women. It's high time they stopped doing so. Can you make sure that your sons are not one of them? And, don't you dare ask other people's daughters to cover up or get confined to their homes at dusk just because you would like to believe that you managed to raise ideal sons.

Does the old welsh proverb make more sense now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily
In the middle of Mediterranean Sea.
Austria was Hungary
Took a bit of Turkey
Fried it in Japan
Dipped it in Greece...."

I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-)

It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Healing and conquering myself, one tiny step at a time

"It is not the mountains we conquer but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary
Two years back, when I had set out on my first trek in the Himalayas, I did not know what I was getting into. It began as a quest, a search for the place that I was dreaming about for the last few years. Valley of Flowers in Uttarakhand did turn out to be straight out of my dream and I still cannot believe it. I remember sitting on that large asymmetrical rock for more than an hour, looking at the snow-clad mountains and scribbling in my diary as the cool wind blew in my face and the sun tried its best to warm my fingers. 
Less than a year later, I went back to the mountains and it was then that I realized that I was meant to go back, not once or twice or thrice, I just have to be there every once in a while. May be that recurring dream had a bigger purpose than calling me to the Valley of Flowers. May be someone up there knew that it was just a beginning. And now that it has started, it shall go on till my…

This 'Barfi' is sweetest of all

After a long time comes a movie that makes you laugh and cry at the same time. One cannot stay unmoved by the love and spirit of two people who suffer from hearing and speech impairment and autism. But it doesn't come in the way of identifying their individuality and their likes and dislikes. Neither does it prevent us from empathizing with their feelings.


The story begins with an ailing Barfi (Ranbir Kapoor) and a bunch of people sharing their memories of him and reminiscing about the past. We are introduced to the prankster who knew no boundaries when it came to creating trouble. The local policeman (Saurabh Shukla) was one of the main targets of all the pranks whenever he went chasing him. Barfi was too smart to be caught for any of his crimes. Things change when Barfi gets involved in a kidnapping and a bank robbery. The story of Jhilmil (Priyanka Chopra), who was kidnapped by Barfi, then unfolds. Barfi and Jhilmil go through a lot of ups and downs. The initial mistrust is ta…