Skip to main content

Bol: Speak out



It has been a long time since I reviewed a movie. Two movies I really want to write about some day are Dhobi Ghat and Band Baaja Baraat, the only two movies that have impressed me in recent times. But for now I will stick to Bol.


Even though I tried my best not to compare Bol to Khuda Ke Liye, I didn't succeed. There are several commonalities between both these movies and the major one is that both aim at unveiling the evils persisting in the Islamic society. The saddest part is that all this is claimed to be done in the name of God. Even though the story is of a Muslim family in Pakistan, I think the issue is beyond a specific community, language, state or a country. We have our own shame list comprising of female infanticides, khap panchayats, honor killings and many more.

The main protagonist of Bol is Zainab who has been sentenced to death because she killed her father. She is granted her last wish of telling her story to the world before being executed. She speaks about her family which comprised of 7 sisters apart from a mother (child making machine) and a father (man behind the annual child making) and a never ending quest for producing a 'waaris'. With a long queue of daughters in his house, the father, a hakeem, very conveniently blames his wife for all the misery- 'Tumko do hi kaam to theek se aate hain. Ek khaana banaana aur doosra betiyan paida karna.' Zainab being the eldest daughter who could not see her mother's agony, gets her mother operated so that there are no more mouths to feed in the times of dwindling resources. But before that, to add to the misfortune, the mother gives birth to a transgender kid. The kid is disowned by his father who even considered killing him as soon as he was born. He grows up strictly confined to the house, under the love and care of his sisters and mother. After a long dramatic turn of events, the father kills the boy fearing the society and the probable shame that he would bring to the family. And the tragedy doesn't end there.

Through this movie (and Khuda Ke Liye) the director Shoaib Mansoor tries to bring out the sorry state of women in a patriarchal society and how the hypocritical male goes on abusing them in the name of religion. I liked Bol but I think that it became dragging towards the end. Khuda Ke Liye was more effective and had better music. Listen to these songs and decide for yourself. The first one is the title track which basically summarizes the context of the movie and the second one is a sufi song by Baba Bulle Shah, which speaks against the caste divide.








Keep visiting for more reviews in the coming weeks. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A poem from childhood...

"Long legged Italy, kicked poor Sicily In the middle of Mediterranean Sea. Austria was Hungary Took a bit of Turkey Fried it in Japan Dipped it in Greece...." I remember only this much. This poem was my first attempt at learning the names of these countries and locating them on the map of the world. And I thought Austria and Australia were same. :-) It's time to confirm that I was wrong at that point of time, some twenty years back...

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

I went for this movie with zero-expectation just to watch SRK after a long interval of more than a year and I didn't get disappointed. Seriously, it is a very ordinary movie which takes up an age-old idea (of arranged marriage) and adds all kinds of 'spices' and SRK to it just to cater to a very specific kind of audience, which includes SRK fans and YRF loyals or time-pass movie goers. Surinder Sahni cannot be 'one' single man. There are many contradictions within this character. The man leads a dull, boring, monotonous life with his yellow suitcase, yellow tiffin, yellow car and a yellow bed sheet... (i might have missed other yellow objects around him). And he accepts the fact that he is indeed a boring person. Now, he decides to change his personality just to surprise his young, vibrant, newly-wedded wife. He turns himself into the "movie-hero" who makes his Taani ji smile. The surprising part is that he looks extremely comfortable in this new transfo

Drama on Lauh-pad-gamini

For those who don't know what is 'Lauh-pad-gamini' , it means 'train' (I learnt that from Chupke Chupke ). And let me re-emphasize the fact that I love train journeys. One of them is over and the other is round the corner. The reason for the upcoming journey deserves another post and I will write about it later. If life is a journey, I would like it to be a train journey. That's what the new look of my blog says too. The other day I was talking to a friend and this question came up "How do you think life has changed you?" There are so many things but the first thing which came in my head was: I have learnt to extract joy from 'little' things in life and even the otherwise 'major' things can't keep my spirits down for long. Yes, things do affect me but I have learnt to move on. But this post is not about lessons of life. It is about 'trains' and 'movies', which occupy a special position in my life. :) There are so ma